Thursday 26 November 2009

Christmas as I remembered----My christmas.




I write this as I listened to the song ' Long long ago in Bethlehem'. It gives the reader what christmas was in the past compared to how it is now celebrated. Those folks who are more matured would remember it differently and are free to make comments.

As I recalled Christmas in the 60's 70's is no way like it is now portrayed. At the start of October the chill in the air gives one the feeling as if a change is happening . I am writing this as my view of Christmas in the Caribbean,Montserrat to be exact. The sound of the Masquerade drums practicing for the coming festive season perks one imagination for what is coming. The sound of the firecrackers bombs and other fireworks leading up to 5th Nov night was a novelty to me during my childhood days. I can recall my first Flambo. Flambo is a bottle filled with kerosene oil a piece of cloth at the top and this is lit and carried through the villages in groups.
I had packs of star lights and other fireworks but I just needed my flambo. The sound of the masquerade drum and the merriment on that night attracted most children in the village it is no wonder that most children knew how to dance the masquerade.
The next big event leading up to Christmas was the different Harvest thanksgiving by the churches and St John's Anglican church was no exception. This church is usually packed and overflowing morning and evening. As I recall was it the singing that attracted so many people or the fact that the hospitality in St John's (North)was so superb people just flocked there. Another factor in my opinion which contributed to huge crowds gathering was the closeness of the rum shops. St John's Anglican church harvest thanksgiving always remind me of st John's day. St johns day is another important day for the people of St Johns and this is celebrated on the 27th December.
That's another story on its own.
As early as October the radio station starts playing Christmas songs and carols which gears up people for the coming festive season. Those who are hard up on cash start singing out as early as November. By this time the barrels from the USA,UK Canada you name it start rolling in. Some people receive as much as five barrels which contain clothes, food, cameras, radios and even tv's. Those not fortunate for the barrels recieved registered letters and post cards. Folks from Britain -as they were known as were the first droves of visitors they usually came around the last week in November early December. It was noted the earlier you came means you do not have much money but if you came around 15th to 21st December you were loaded with cash. Next were those from America, by this time the country is bustling with people and money. Christmas is definitely around the corner. You can't wait for the action. Every night the streets are crowded with string bands, maquerades practicing for the big day. By Christmas Eve the activity is such a height everyone in such a good moodthat all trials sadness is put back on the backburner for January.After christmas eve church Mass everyone is in top gear and ready to go.
Then comes the big day. The masquerades the guppies people playing mas,the famous iron band was most welcome you just grab any old iron and join in the fun, you will have some folks still singing carols from the night before. For me christmas is just the begining of a line of days. My biggest day ever is St John's day celebrated on the 27th December.

No comments:

Post a Comment